1. Wash beans in cold water and discard imperfect ones.
2. Cover with salted water at least 3 inches above beans and soak overnight.
3. The next morning, drain and rinse beans thoroughly.Set beans aside.
4. Place bacon, ham bone, beef, chorizos, onion, green pepper, tomato and bay leaf in a 3 to 4 quart saucepan or soup pot. Cover with water 2 inches above ingredients. Bring to a rapid boil; skim several times.Lower heat to moderate, cover, and place saffron on the cover to toast.
5. Cook about 30 minutes Add beans and bring to a boil again.
6. Cover and reduce heat to moderate; cook another 30 minutes.
7. Crumble toasted saffron and add. Stir gently once.
8. Cover and cook another 30 minutes, or until beans are tender and not overcooked. By this time, meats should be tender.
9. Remove meats to heated platter and reserve.
10. Discard ham bone and remainder of onion, green pepper, tomato and bay leaf. Add potatoes to beans and correct salt seasoning.
11. Cover and cook over moderate heat until potatoes are done, about 30 minutes.
12. Cut beef into small portions. Slice chorizos into thin rings. Cube the cooked bacon.
13. Return meats to soup kettle.
14. Heat thoroughly and serve hot.
- 1 Pound Dried Garbanzos (Chick-peas)
- 1/2 Pound Smoked Bacon
- 1 Ham bone (Ham hock)
- 1/2 Pound Lean Beef
- 2 Chorizos (Spanish sausage)
- 1 Small whole Onion
- 1/2 Green Pepper
- 1 Whole ripe Tomato
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Pinch - Saffron
- 3 Medium Potatoes, peeled and cubed