1. In a large, nonstick saucepan, heat the oil over low heat until fragrant, then cook the garlic, 1 minute. Add the cornmeal, water, salt, and pepper, and cook over medium heat, whisking occasionally, after the cornmeal starts to thicken, 20 to 25 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until thick, 20 to 30 minutes. Note that time for cornmeal can vary considerably.
2. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly oil a 3-quart baking dish, spread half the cooled cornmeal on the bottom, top with all the picadillo, and then spread the remaining cornmeal over it. Bake, covered, until heated through, 40 to 50 minutes. Serve immediately, or keep warm in 200° F oven until ready to serve.
3 tablespoons pure spanish olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
6 cups water, or beef broth, at room temperature
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 recipe picadillo (see recipe below)
The Picadillo Recipe
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion, green pepper and garlic until the onion is translucent.
2. Add the ground beef and brown over medium heat.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue cooking until meat is tender and completely cooked through. About 25 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
3 - Tablespoons - Olive oil
1 - Small - Onion, diced
1/2 - Green - Bell pepper, diced
2 - Cloves - fresh garlic, pressed
1 1/2 - Lbs. - ground beef
1 - tsp. - salt
1/2 - tsp. - pepper
1 - can 8 oz. - tomato sauce
1 - small can - tomato paste
3/4 - cup - dry white wine (the cheaper the better)
4 - Tablespoon - Pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
1 - Small - box of dark raisins
1/2 - tsp. - cumin
1/2 - tsp. - oregano